Compassionate Attorneys For Workplace Discrimination
At Ellwanger Henderson, we understand that coming forward about workplace discrimination is not easy. You can rely on us to provide a caring, respectful atmosphere in which you can tell your story. Since the civil rights era, we have served as a voice for workers throughout Texas who want to put an end to the workplace discrimination they have endured.
Our lawyers at Ellwanger Henderson have participated in some of the most significant employment discrimination cases in the history of Texas, as follows:
- In 2008, they resolved a matter on behalf of a group of plaintiffs in a significant racial discrimination claim filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) alleging a hostile work environment and related violations of the Civil Rights Act by Allied Aviation, a refueling company at Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW). The $1.88 million settlement was, at the time, the largest race and national origin discrimination case ever resolved by the Dallas District Office of the EEOC and garnered national and international media attention.
- In 2012, they served as trial counsel to over 250 individual plaintiffs in one of the nation’s largest employment discrimination cases, Taylor et al. v. Turner Industries. The case resulted in a $4.05 million verdict in the “bellwether” trial of the first 10 individual plaintiffs – the largest employment discrimination jury verdict in Texas in 2012.
- In 2015, they again worked with the EEOC to secure a $4 million resolution of a lawsuit against Hillshire Brands to settle a race discrimination case involving scores of black workers at a former Sara Lee bakery in Paris, Texas. This again set the standard as the biggest racial discrimination settlement ever resolved by the Dallas District Office of the EEOC.
Our team at Ellwanger Henderson currently represents individuals and groups with employment discrimination claims before the EEOC, in arbitration, and before state and federal courts across the country.
What Are The Different Types Of Employment Discrimination?
At Ellwanger Henderson, we fight for justice. Reach out to us if you have experienced illegal employment discrimination or have been caught in a work-related dispute involving situations such as the following:
- Sexual harassment or abuse in a work context
- Discrimination based on gender, gender identity or gender orientation
- Discrimination based on race or national origin
- Poor treatment because of age, pregnancy, disability or marital status
- Wage and hour injustices
- A dispute over time off and your Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) rights
- Retaliation over whistleblowing or a qui tam case, possibly including termination
- Pressure to sign a problematic severance agreement
Turn to us for guidance and advocacy, whether you are struggling on your own or experiencing injustice along with fellow workers in similar circumstances. Our attorneys have collective decades of experience defending the rights of employees with individual and classwide discrimination and harassment claims. Noteworthy examples are summarized below.
Who Should I Report Workplace Harassment To?
Harassment in the workplace creates a hostile work environment and should not be tolerated. Your employee handbook may say that the first step is to report harassment to your human resources department. However, we urge people to contact an attorney first to protect themselves from potential retaliation. If the harassment does not stop, our firm can be an advocate for your rights.
What Protections Do I Have If I Report Discrimination?
It is against federal law for your employer to retaliate against you for reporting discrimination. They may not:
- Demote you for reporting discrimination
- Fire you for reporting discrimination
- Punish you for reporting discrimination
- Intimidate you for reporting discrimination
- Discriminate against you further to discourage your claim
If they do, their conduct is illegal and you may be entitled to punitive damages.
Get More Answers About Employment Discrimination
If you are facing discrimination in the workplace, our attorneys and talented support staff stand ready to fight for you.