Effective Legal Advocates Fighting For Prisoners’ Rights In Texas
America is a very punitive society, particularly when it comes to those convicted of a crime. This attitude is especially apparent in places like Texas, where many people believe we should “lock them up and throw away the key.” But inmates in correctional facilities are still human beings with needs and rights, and they deserve the same protections the rest of us do.
If you or someone you love has suffered civil rights violations while in the custody of the state or federal government, contact the skilled attorneys at Ellwanger Henderson today. We are among the nation’s premier civil rights firms, and we bring decades of combined legal experience to each case and client.
All Americans Have Rights – Including Those In Jail Or Prison
Incarcerated individuals in Texas have rights that include (but are not limited to):
- Reasonably safe and sanitary living conditions
- Protection from harassment and abuse and anything else that constitutes cruel and unusual punishment
- Protection from discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin
- Access to regular meals and clothing
- Timely and appropriate medical care, including mental health care
- Filing complaints and taking legal action to address unfair treatment or violations of their rights
- The same rights as all Americans have under the Americans with Disabilities Act (for inmates with disabilities)
Two of the most common and dangerous violations of prisoners’ rights include withholding medical care and acts of violence committed or allowed by corrections officers. These can be fatal for inmates and are frequently the basis of wrongful death claims.
Seek The Assistance Of A Dedicated Civil Rights Attorney
Whether you are an incarcerated inmate or the loved one of an inmate, it’s easy to feel powerless to stop or remedy these rights violations. Thankfully, however, there are attorneys at our firm who are passionate about fighting for individuals who may not be able to fight for themselves. When you contact our firm, we will take the time to hear your story, discuss your legal options and strategize a solution together.
To schedule your free initial consultation with the attorneys at Ellwanger Henderson, call our Dallas or Austin offices at 737-248-1321 or contact us online. We serve clients throughout Texas and nationwide.